Sunday, October 19, 2008

Spooktacular!

This last week has been way busy for me as far as school goes. Fortunately, some fun was involved. I did get to watch my brother and some friends perform in university choir's annual Halloween Spooktacular. This was the first time in my college career that I have not been able to be a part of the choir, so it was cool to be able to watch them from the audience instead of being up there performing. They did well, but technical problems were quite frequent, and you could tell Dr. Lee, the director, was kinda infuriated about that.

All the performers dress up in costumes. My brother was a banana:


Joey and Brittney (co-workers from my old job at Chick-fil-a) were hippies:


The first year I performed, I was Batman. My friend's Mom made our costumes. The next two years, I just decided to go as a zombie and vampire... I did the makeup myself :) :



Saturday I participated in the ACM Programming Contest in Abilene. We compete against schools all over Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana, including the big ones (UT-Austin, LSU, OU, etc), as well as graduate students and undergrad students. Each school brings at least one team of three, and each team is given 9 of the most difficult problems in the world (in my opinion at least) to solve and create a program for within a 5 hour period. Each problem felt like being asked to solve world hunger or our economic problems in 5 hours. By the end, we were all brain fried. My team only completed one within the time-slot, and we were happy with that. I think the first place team completed 5.

3 comments:

Gretchen and Erick said...

Oh Spooktacular -- I miss those days. What songs did they sing?

Evan C said...

The theme was "Clueless." They sang songs from the movie, Clue, as well as Jekyll & Hyde, Cabaret, Dracula, and Young Frankenstein... as well as the Time Warp of course.

Gretchen and Erick said...

They sang songs from the movie Clue? All they sing in Clue is "For he/she's a jolly good fellow", Sha Boom Sha Boom (which is the record playing while they are having the "party" and oh yeah, "I am your singing telegram" (bang -- the singing telegram gets shot)....wow they need to get over Time warp. Young Frankenstein rocks my socks!!