Saturday, November 29, 2008

My Thanksgiving Break

I had fun this Thanksgiving. We spent the day at my grandparents house here in town and had around thirty people to feed. Several of my brothers and sisters, an aunt an uncle, cousins, and nieces and nephews were in town to celebrate the day. My friend, the missionaries from the family ward, and one of their investigators also showed up.

We probably had more desserts than anything which included 15 pies, cheesecake, banana pudding, and fruit bread (which we believe was bought at Ross after doing some shopping yesterday). In the evening some of us took a nice little walk in the wilderness area next to my grandparent's place in search for a humongous tree in the area. I haven't been in like 3 years, but I led the way anyways and ended up getting everyone lost. We had fun though.


Yesterday we had leftovers at my grandparents again and I played with the kids. I also did some shopping, due to the fact that I desperately needed a jacket... but I ended up getting Hairspray as well since it was only $7.00 (I recommend it, especially if you like musicals). Yes, I nodded off here and there throughout the movie, but I was exhausted.

Today I just got done putting up the icicle lights on the roof. I really tried and pushed my parents to get some new LED Christmas lights. They weren't interested and I couldn't afford them on my own, so I did end up using the tacky icicle lights. I'll show pictures whenever we get all the decorations out there... and you will see just how ugly they are. They seemed to be just a trend. I wish I had the talent of my grandfather when it comes to putting up Christmas lights. I've always loved his outdoor decorations. He was pretty upset when finding out the strand of lights for the top branch of his giant tree were bad.

I am sleeping in the front room right now since my older sister is in my room. Today I woke up to my Mom playing primary hymns on the piano. She was practicing for a baptism for this afternoon. Primary songs are amazing. They remind me that the Gospel is (or should be) so simple. However, as a kid, I use to never really understand the purpose of "Follow the Prophet." I never liked the key it was in because it made it feel like we should be fearful of our leaders.

First she played "I'm Trying to Be like Jesus":

1. I’m trying to be like Jesus;
I’m following in his ways.
I’m trying to love as he did, in all that I do and say.
At times I am tempted to make a wrong choice,
But I try to listen as the still small voice whispers,

Chorus
“Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
For these are the things Jesus taught.”

2. I’m trying to love my neighbor;
I’m learning to serve my friends.
I watch for the day of gladness when Jesus will come again.
I try to remember the lessons he taught.
Then the Holy Spirit enters into my thoughts, saying:

Chorus
“Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
For these are the things Jesus taught.”


Then she played "When I Am Baptized:"

1. I like to look for rainbows whenever there is rain
And ponder on the beauty of an earth made clean again.

Chorus
I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain.
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.

2. I know when I am baptized my wrongs are washed away,
And I can be forgiven and improve myself each day.

Chorus
I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain.
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.


The closing hymn was "If You Could Hie to Kolob." What an odd choice.

4 comments:

t.turney said...

I liked those hymns, Ev. And the Gospel message SHOULD be that simple.... we're the ones that complicate it all.

(I hope you enjoyed every minute of the break and are geared up for finals. GOOD LUCK!)

t.turney said...

I love those hymns. The Gospel message SHOULD be that simple... we're the ones who complicate it all....

(I hope you enjoyed every moment of the break... and I hope you're ready for finals.... good luck!)

Emily said...

EV. you sound so so old! in a good way, of course. just don't compare my blog to yours..you sound mature and i'm pretty sure i sound like a little kid. ha but i'm glad your break was fun. yay for school almost being done!

Gretchen and Erick said...

If You could Hie to Kolob? At a baptism???? That's strange...

I missed you guys at Thanksgiving!!!